Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Whistler, March 28, 29, 30

Whistler, March 28, 29, 30

• Randonnee
  • [Randonnee]
More
31 Mar 2005 16:56 #211884 by Randonnee
Whistler, March 28, 29, 30 was created by Randonnee
An improved snowpack and favorable forecast looked good for Whistler. Also, the hike-to Flute peak sounded good. We had ski toured out there five years ago when going to the hut for the Spearhead Traverse. Now, the ski area boundary is extended, signed and fenced to near the provincial park boundary. The area is given avalanche hazard mitigation (bombed) before opening. There is a groomer track to the top. The Patrol snowmobiles around for its various functions, including up the groomer track to the summit.<br><br>Monday the 28th had excellent new powder (Stevens Pass quality, not to be confused with the Wasatch type, but better than a lot of deep snow that I have skied at Whistler) but the moody coastal weather rolled in and out. Whiteout varied with partial visibility, but excellent turns were made in deep pow on the lower portion with hardly a walk, very quick trips around.<br><br>Tuesday brought clearing, a bluebird day with deep pow. Yippee! It was interesting to see a large sample of the general lift ski population walking to the summit of Flute. There were maybe 8 or 10 randonnee skiers skinning, and quite a few telemark skiers. Wednesday was again a bluebird day with deep pow that was still so good on the right aspects.<br><br>I enjoyed walking along and chatting with several of the local randonnee skiers. They all had fat skis with Fritsches and big rando boots. I was on Dynafit Comfort bindings, K2 Shuksans, and new Dynafit Aero boots.The light gear drew attention on the hill and on the lift. Day two of three I was on lift skis with Fritsches and Lange Comp boots, and since it suddenly cleared so beautifully I toured 2500 vert on that setup- I did not want to waste an hour going down to get the touring gear. Most telemarkers that I saw were on big skis and boots, also I saw a few with T2s and mid fats and even some early 1990's tele gear.<br><br>The half of the Flute that requires the shortest walk and then up to the summit gets skied quite a bit. The north end was skied less, and had excellent deep untracked snow the day after the storms. When it was time to go, I looked up longingly at the expanse of untracked snow that remained.<br><br>The walk to the summit takes 30 to 40 minutes at an easy pace, and another 20 to 30 minutes to continue along the rest of the ridge for the further bowls. The cat track out to the Harmony Chair requires uphill walking for maybe 10 to 15 minutes. I used my skins because it was so enjoyable and relaxing after such a poor snow year in WA that limited my days on randonnee gear to nine so far.<br><br>I could not resist skiing with some locals out of bounds down into Oboe Cr., about 1500 ft. vert on a moderate angle- many deep pow turns. It is possible to avoid the most hazardous slopes out there if one pays attention. The set skin track out went to the furthest north shoulder of Flute inbounds, which held great deep powder largely untouched because of the extra effort to get there. Some locals just skin back up from the inbounds to "Lesser Flute." <br><br>The $63 CDN lift ticket made me long for a normal snow year at home (4 lift days and 50+ randonnee days last year), but I was very happy to have such access to good deep powder touring conditions. The crowd was huge- Easter week with a lot of Europeans. The lineups were annoying for a ski tourer, but the inbounds touring was not too crowded and was fabulous. It was enjoyable also to stop at the top of Harmony Chair on one of the laps for hot cocoa with lunch in the small hut there.<br><br>Bluebird days and cold fluffy powder at Whistler was a real treat. The alpine scenery there is also great. <br><br>Some pointers if you are not a Whistler skier:<br><br>When crossing the border, we use the exit for trucks and busses. We always have better traveling going that way, to and from.<br><br>Accomodations have very similar pricing in Whistler. It was better, of course, a few years ago when the exchange rate was more favorable to the USD. There is a hostel in Whistler and Squamish. The hotel in Squamish was less than 1/2 the cost of Whistler accomodation @ $84 CDN. Since no one could come on short notice midweek, I went solo and camped two nights at Whistler (I did not want to spend $175 CDN per night for a room for just me). I stayed at Riverside Campground, immediately north of Whistler. There are also cabins there for $175 with a loft for up to 4 adults (+ kids). RV spaces are $40, tent spaces are listed at $25, they charged me $20 CDN. There are nice toilet and shower facilities, gameroom, kid's play equipment, etc., and a restaurant. I was cozy in the family 10 x 10 car camping tent with table, chair, and heater. If there is decent weather in the spring, I may return with the family and bicycles and enjoy camping and playing, and skiing.<br><br>One may actually load the gondola at 0815 to 0830, although "opening time" is 0900. By 0900 the crowds trying to load the gondola were sizeable. If you want to spend the extra $$, one may buy the First Tracks breakfast<br>and upload beginning at 0700. I have done this and enjoyed the breakfast buffet at the Roundhouse before being turned loose on th hill when it was cleared.<br><br>There is a nice plasticized topo map for skitouring the Whistler Backcountry with ski routes marked.<br><br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.