Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > March 26, 2005, Park City

March 26, 2005, Park City

• dkoelle
  • [dkoelle]
More
27 Mar 2005 12:36 #211874 by dkoelle
March 26, 2005, Park City was created by dkoelle
Lame. Huge line out of base area, and 71 dollars for a regular weekend day pass. Add 27 more I think for "fast tracks" to whiz by the peons. But its not worth being in a rush. Most of the "trails" seemed like logging roads. Definitely at least one level of inflation in the old green circle, blue square, black diamond thing. 1-3 feet of "fresh" but rapidly degraded by the sun. If Alta and Solitude are ecstacy, PC is the opposite. If you have limited time down there, avoid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Larry_Trotter
  • [Ruxpercnd]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
31 Mar 2005 15:18 #211883 by Larry_Trotter
Replied by Larry_Trotter on topic Re: March 26, 2005, Park City
Wow... sorry you didn't like Park City. I was there early February for a week and loved it. Did lots of skiing on great slopes under blue sky and sunshine. Didn't even begin to cover the whole area.<br><br>This is a resort area, which is kind of fun in itself. The lines may be long, but move pretty fast. Perhaps try Deer Valley? Check out the cams: www.parkcitymountain.com/winter/menu_01/04_Mountain_Cams/

$71 is pretty normal lift fees for that area. You can get discounts in various ways. Frankly, if I had limited time there I would be happy for any skiing I could get. I couldn't get to the BC, but I just decided to have fun on the groomers.

Suggest you learn to relax and have fun! :D

More
01 Apr 2005 06:24 #211885 by wolfs
Replied by wolfs on topic Re: March 26, 2005, Park City
On our 3 day trip to Utah early March we went PCMR one day Canyons one day. Canyons you can discount as low as 45$ (Costco 2-pack), harder to discount PCMR or DV that far just can save 5 bucks or so. There's actually a way to ski for free if you can pull off flying there in the early AM (funny promotion where any airline's boarding pass for that day gets you a free Park City area ticket, skiutah.com has specifics, we didn't try this).<br><br>I can see why skiers of a certain mindset end up knocking the Park City resorts. Mainly it's cuz they're not "core" enough. Their expert terrain is typically on corners of the mountain where the lift layout is the most aggravating, and it's really just one or two lifts worth. But if you like exploring mountains, including even the blue runs, there's a lot of fun to be had, because they are all big mountains. Calling them ALL cat tracks is a little over the top.<br><br>For a more localized analogy, if you enjoy Whistler-Blackcomb because of lifts + runs like Solar Express and Jersey Cream (nice wide blue groomers all over the hill) you'll probably like the Park City resorts. If you never ride that lift and end up spending your whole day at WB on Granite, Harmony or the T bars you probably wouldn't like anything at Park City. If you're like me and enjoy each thing in its own way, you'll probably be OK at Park City but you'll be tired of it after a couple of days and would want to move on to the other Utah areas next day or next trip.<br><br>Oh by the way Snowbird is not immune to giant lines either, is what I've heard. Especially including the line to drive in or out of the narrow canyon road.

• snohopper
  • [snohopper]
More
02 Apr 2005 00:26 #211887 by snohopper
Replied by snohopper on topic Re: March 26, 2005, Park City
I am with dkoelle...a day at PC and a day at CL were nothing compared to Alta. I hit Alta and stayed!!! Found freshies each day for a good $$ and fabulous terrain.

• bcpinhead
  • [bcpinhead]
More
05 Apr 2005 10:34 #211896 by bcpinhead
Replied by bcpinhead on topic Re: March 26, 2005, Park City
Ok guys, I lived in PC for about 10 years. I was a snowmaker most of that time, so I know it well. Ther terrain there is definitely not Alta. That is why Alta is one of the best in the world. I had a pass at Alta even when I lived in PC. PC does have some great stuff to offer, but it is accessed on chairs that take some finding and getting used to. You should have tried to ski there before there were high speed six packs. It was a pain, but if you knew where to look, it was great.<br>If you are a bump skier, this is the place. It is almost as good as Steamboat or Mary Jane in Colorado.<br>The Canyons is great!!! Especially when they have snow(as they do this year) It is not so great on low snow years.<br>They have expanded that place to amazing prpoprtions and there is some of the best terrain I have ever skied there.<br>Check out Snowbasin next time you are there. It is HUGE now and there are dry, comfortable gondolas all over the mountain. The runs are about 2500 vertical for one ride up the gondola. These are truly leg burners for sure. Powder Mountain is also awesome, but a much smaller resort.<br><br>Well, that is just my two cents worth....probably only worth a penny =)<br><br>Bry