Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > Feb 28-March 3, 2005, New Mexico

Feb 28-March 3, 2005, New Mexico

• dkoelle
  • [dkoelle]
More
03 Mar 2005 14:58 #211851 by dkoelle
Feb 28-March 3, 2005, New Mexico was created by dkoelle
I was lucky enough to be able to travel to Sante Fe (skied Feb 28) and Taos (skied March 3) and also a nordic resort at Red River called Enchanted Forest (March 1). Everyone is saying this is the best snow year down here in 20+ years. The coverage is awesome, and even though there has not been any fresh since about Feb 25, the high-altitude packed powder/windblown snow just stays pretty good. I don't think in-resort Pacific Northwest snow ages that gracefully even in a good snow year. There is a nice hike from the top of the highest lift at Taos to Kachina Peak. It is about 650 feet elevation gain and takes at least 30 minutes, usually more. They close the gate to this area at 1 PM. It leads to significant chutes and eventually wide open slopes, maxing out at about 12,450 feet I think. Definitely enough to feel the altitude a bit. Sante Fe is even higher than Taos in terms of the lift-served area. It does not have nearly as much acreage as Taos, but there are lines off the summit lift that are "as steep as you want it". Nice transitions from true above treeline terrain into tiny trees, aspens and evergreens. Very pretty.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.