Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > January 16-17, 2005, Blackcoomb

January 16-17, 2005, Blackcoomb

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
24 Jan 2005 04:46 #211787 by Randito
January 16-17, 2005, Blackcoomb was created by Randito
Late posting, my son and I skied / snowboarded at Blackcoomb weekend before last. On Sunday 1/16 temps were cold and groomers fast with occasional ice patches (even a few lower down that had that clear ice property that lets you see bits of ground through them) On Monday 1/17 it was much warmer with rain at the base, mixed rain/snow at the base of the mid-mountain lifts (Excellerator, Solar coaster) and heavy wet snow at the top. The alpine lifts (Glacier, 7th Heaven, T-Bars) were closed due to "wind" -- but I think it was really due to the combination of fog and the thin crowd. There was about six inches of heavy fresh snow to play with in some of the "gladed" runs off the north side. A bit of an obstacle course with all the rocks and stumps, but fun none the less. Heavy precip all day -- I was able to squeeze about a pint of water out of my gloves at lunch.<br><br>Of note for backcounty skiers and snowboarders is a new "beacon basin" near the top of the "Solar Coaster" lift.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.