Home > Forum > Categories > Lift Accessed Ski Reports > December 12 - 19 2003, Whistler/Blackcomb BC

December 12 - 19 2003, Whistler/Blackcomb BC

• JMor
  • [Jm-04]
More
20 Dec 2003 02:04 #211692 by JMor
I know that this is not an "Official" bc report, after reading all the posts on the Dec 17 report by MW88888888, but I'm sure that since it is close to the holidays, Charles will have mercy on me and let me "crow" about our lift served ski at Whistler. It's been over 2 years since I've skied with lift service, and the opportunity arose to take one for the team. There were 6 of us bc skiers that headed to Whistler for this "special" treat. We were greeted with snow in Whistler Village proper so there was no need to download at days end. The coverage is very good for this time of year and the snow conditions are fantastic. Light dry powder! ;D and new snow for four of the six days. There was 6 - 10 inches of new every day and the temps remained in the teens while we were there. We did get a couple of really big dumps, and were able to find untracked deep powder on all runs and even in the off piste. The Blackcomb glacier is not open at this time, but the Sudan Couloir did provide some very good skiing on a couple of blue bird days, good snow at the top, but a little wind crusted down toward the bottom. The question here, as to whether this report is worthy of being posted here, in my opinion, is that it does offer info on a destination ski area. Besides I already had to follow to many rules at the border. Did I earn my turns? Maybe not on the ride up the hill, but by days end on day 5 and 6, I was really earning my turns, my knees were telling me I'd put in a few hard days and were not cooperatering as well, &gt;:( and my wrists were letting me know that all the pole planting was also taking it's toll. Thanks Charles for being such a good boy and letting me report here, ;) I'm sure Santa will be extra nice to you this year. BTW the Hortsman glacier does have a couple of spots where the glacier ice is showing, which was guite interesting to look at while skiing by.<br><br>Happy Holidays to all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2003 03:34 #211693 by ron j
Sounds like a great trip.<br>Wish I had been there.

• JMor
  • [Jm-04]
More
20 Dec 2003 03:43 - 20 Dec 2003 03:44 #211694 by JMor
Wow, that wasn't you???  Hopefully it wasn't your "evil" twin  ;D  ;D  Made me do some things I wouldn't have necessarily tried  ;)  ;) Like, "follow me".  What is it about those two little words that you know you shouldn't, but do it anyway 8)

More
20 Dec 2003 04:03 #211695 by ron j
Oh, yeah, I guess I was there too.<br>I almost forgot. Almost like having TWO fun trips.

More
20 Dec 2003 05:36 #211696 by Zap
Love those high speed lifts and 5200 vertical runs.:) Wish I knew you were there. Jill and I skied Whistler on Monday with our 2 for 1 coupon from the Warren Miller(WM) film. Also used our free lift tickets from WM to ski Sun Peaks, Silver Star, Big White and finally Apex yesterday. The Okanogan ski areas in British Columbia have a shallower snowpack than we do along the coast so venturing off piste is still scratchy.

More
20 Dec 2003 06:59 #211697 by ron j
Yeah, Zap, it woulda been fun to do some turns together up there.

More
21 Dec 2003 10:32 #211698 by ron j
Here's a link to the decipherable photos from the trip (and some that are not so decipherable):<br>groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/whistlerdec13182003.msnw

More
21 Dec 2003 13:43 #211699 by JW
I knew I shouldn't have worked! 8)

• paul_smith
  • [paul_smith]
More
22 Dec 2003 02:51 #211700 by paul_smith
Replied by paul_smith on topic Re: December 12 - 19 2003, Whistler/Blackcomb BC
Mad Dog<br><br> Now I'm not sure about this but I believe that the words 'crow' and 'crowing' may have been trade-marked in the recent past. So you may see a bill for 'use' of these terms soon in the mail. ;D ;D Sounds like you guys had a great time!

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
22 Dec 2003 13:12 #211701 by markharf
I sure hope you submitted this report to the Crow-worthiness Proctor before posting. In the absence of the necessary certificates and authorizations, you might find yourself in deep, deep trouble. <br><br>Signed,<br><br>One who only has your best interests at heart

• JMor
  • [Jm-04]
More
23 Dec 2003 01:36 #211702 by JMor

I knew I shouldn't have worked! 8)

<br><br>Yeah, you know what "they" say, All work and no play makes "Jack" unhappy when it comes to skiing 8) or something like that.<br><br>And Mark I did check the secret code on the "Crow-worthiness" procter issue, and you musta missed that fine print that said something about the "Mad Dog" issue. ;D

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
06 Jan 2004 05:01 #211706 by powscraper
Replied by powscraper on topic Re: December 12 - 19 2003, Whistler/Blackcomb BC
I was also there boarding on the 15th to the 18th. Fresh snow followed by good weather. Where's the "Sudan Couloir"? I remember hitting up "Couloir Extreme" and "Diamond Bowl" a few times. Then over to "Whistler Bowl" on the other mountain. We found you can get your heart pumping pretty good if you head down right under the "Peak" lift on Whistler, with some tight steeps and a decent lip at the end.<br><br>We got our tickets at Haggens in Bellingham, they were $46 US with a Haggen Card.