May 6, 2019, Cascade Pass

5/6/19
WA Cascades NW (Mt Baker)
1047
2
Posted by Gilbert on 5/8/19 1:05pm
Arrived/started too late so we aborted attempt on Sahale. Road was still closed at Eldorado trail head. Ranger thinks it should be open all the way for this weekend. Slight bushwhack out of the parking area. Direct route melting out fast. Lookers right most chutes were starting to crack. Two left trending ramps were holding snow better. It appears there wasn't a solid or reliable freeze the previous night and we had variable conditions. We did not go above the pass and had some firm snow, great corn, breakable crust and heavy wet down low.
Thank you for the report; nice effort! So if the direct route isn't an option after this coming warm weekend, any idea whether the summer trail is hikable (around the cliffs)?
2019-05-11 10:16:52
PS44
I wish I had a good answer. I don't think the summer trail will be in. Boston Basin approach may be in if you don't mind fighting your way up that trail. I think both the ramps on the direct should hold snow. If you can drive to the parking lot you would know soon enough.
2019-05-11 19:23:28
Gilbert

Reply to this TR

14539
may-6-2019-cascade-pass
Gilbert
2019-05-08 20:05:27