Home > Forum > Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit, Nov. 8, 2008

Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit, Nov. 8, 2008

• sb
  • [sb]
More
12 Oct 2008 12:09 - 21 Oct 2008 14:50 #183260 by sb
There's going to be another Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit this November 8 at the Epiphany School, 3710 E. Howell in Seattle.  Starting at 8 AM and ending at 4:30 PM.  Speakers include:Martin Volken, Lowell Skoog, Garth Ferber, Tom Murphy, and Sam Cavanaugh. Sky Sjue will be in the panel discussion. Cost will be $25.

Last year's event was educational and entertaining.  It was a chance to soak in the experience of those who are both studying and working all winter in the avalanche environment.  Also it was filled to overflowing.  Get a jump on the event and order tickets from Brown Paper Bag Tickets on the net.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sb
  • [sb]
More
13 Oct 2008 12:46 #183269 by sb

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
14 Oct 2008 09:28 #183290 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit, 2008
Thanks, Steve!

(bump)

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Oct 2008 14:06 #183409 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit, 2008
I attended last year's summit and found it really interesting. I also thought the event was a great way to meet people involved in snow safety and education. I had heard of most of these folks, but never met them in person before. I think the summit is a great way to bring the community together.

Since I've been recruited to speak at this year's event, I'll definitely be there. My talk is about "Safety and Success on Cascade High Routes." It's a collection of tips and caveats about skiing high-level routes in the Northwest. Trip planning, tactics, avalanche and crevasse safety, and so on.

I'm hoping for a good turnout!

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
21 Oct 2008 14:26 #183410 by curmudgeon
Replied by curmudgeon on topic Re: Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit, 2008
Lowell, have you seen a schedule of presentaions yet? I can find no such a thing on the web site.

• curmudgeon
  • [tim_place]
More
21 Oct 2008 15:52 - 21 Oct 2008 16:29 #183412 by curmudgeon
After inquiry, I was sent this rough draft of the aggenda:

Northwest Snow and Avalanche Summit 2008
November 8th, 2008
Ephiphany School, Seattle

Steve Christie   (Emcee)

Welcome                                9:00-9:10
Garth Ferber                          9:10-9:45         “A Day in the Life of A forecaster”
Don Sharaf                            9:50- 10:25      Stability tests:  An explanation of various stability tests and their strengths and weaknesses in application.

BREAK               10:30-10:50

Martin Volkken                       10:55-11:30   “The  Interplay between Likelihood and Consequence and Motivation     and Risk “
PANEL                                    11:35-12:30   “Decision Making in High Risk Environments”
Perspectives from     Guiding, Highways, and Ski Area’s.  Speakers include Craig Wilbour, Margaret Wheeler, Sky Sjue.

LUNCH                                   12:30-2:00

Tom Murphy                           2:00-2:35   “Decision Making in High-Risk Environments”
Lowell Skoog                         2:40-3:15   “Safety and Success on A Cascade High Route”

BREAK                                   3:15-3:30   
Sam Kavanaugh                   3:35-4:30   “ A Dozen More Turns”  Lessons learned…
CLOSING 

The poster:

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Oct 2008 16:25 #183413 by Lowell_Skoog
I received a private message asking if the snow and avalanche summit is intended for snow safety professionals only.

It is intended for everybody. The more the merrier!

Registration is just $25, so the cost is not prohibitive. If the organizers are out there reading this, you should make sure that the announcements clarify that the event is for the whole backcountry community, not just the pros.

• sb
  • [sb]
More
02 Nov 2008 22:13 #183539 by sb
The Epiphany School can be reached with ease from Capitol Hill and with difficulty from the Arboretum. Best to get on 23rd Ave E. or the parallel MLK Jr. Way, turn east on Union St, and then left (north) on 34th, then right on Howell St. to the Epitphany School at 3710 E. Howell.