- March 26, 2007: Stevens Pass snowboarding and skiing powder, Heather Ridge (Skyline Ridge), Washington, March 21, 2007
50 photos from a backcountry snowboarding and skiing trip to Heather Ridge (Skyline Ridge) near Stevens Pass, Washington, on the first day of spring. A foot of stable powder snow had fallen the previous day and we all trailed large powder plumes sliding down east and northwest through northeast slopes during the day.
- March 5, 2007: Stevens Pass skiing, Jim Hill Mountain powder skiing, Washington, February 28, 2007
Stevens Pass skiing photos from a backcountry skiing trip to Jim Hill Mountain, Washington in February, where we found classic Stevens Pass skiing in beautiful untracked powder snow, and a skin track was provided - almost as good as a ski lift!
- February 5, 2007: Granite Mountain skiing, south face winter corn snow, Snoqualmie Pass backcountry, Washington, January 31, 2007
Backcountry skiing photos from Granite Mountain, near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington, featuring a bluebird day and beautiful winter corn snow on the south face of the mountain.
- October 30, 2006: Fall skiing, Muir Snowfield, Paradise Glacier, Mount Rainier, Washington, October 27, 2006
Photos from a late October backcountry skiing trip to the south side of Mount Rainier, from Paradise up to the Muir Snowfield, then skiing down the Paradise Glacier on some good and some interesting snow.
- July 17, 2006: Inter Glacier backcountry skiing, telemark and randonnee, Steamboat Prow, Mt. Rainier National Park, Washington, July 6, 2006
Photos from a backcountry skiing trip to Steamboat Prow at the top of Inter Glacier (Interglacier) on the NE side of Mt. Rainier, with beautiful weather and mostly good skiing.
- July 10, 2006: Biffs-All-Year 2006: photos of brutally bad backcountry snowboarding and skiing
A Turns All Year tradition is to honor those who have given a piece of themselves to the snow and mountains they love. Here you will find twelve photos of accomplished backcountry skiers and snowboarders doing what they do best: messing up big time on their turns.
- June 26, 2006: Adams Glacier skiing, Mount Adams north side, Washington, June 13-16, 2006
Photos from a four day backcountry trip to the north side of Mount Adams. Rainy weather put a damper on skiing, but great skiing was still found on the Adams Glacier in brilliant June sunshine.
- June 19, 2006: Fortune Mountain, North Fork Teanaway, Alpine Lakes Wilderness, June 7, 2006
Backcountry skiing photos from a trip to Fortune Mountain, in the North Fork Teanaway area of the east central Washington Cascades. A good snow year allowed for rare June skiing, and we found very nice corn snow on different aspects of Fortune Mountain, near Ingalls Peak.
- May 29, 2006: Mount Hinman via Middle Fork Snoqualmie, Dutch Miller Gap trail, Alpine Lakes Wilderness, May 13-14, 2006
An overnight trip to Mount Hinman via the Dutch Miller Gap trail up the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River valley. We had beautiful weather and generally good snow conditions on this spectacular route under Summit Chief Mountain and Bears Breast Mountain, across Chain Lakes basin, and up the west ridge of Mt. Hinman.
- May 22, 2006: Navaho Peak-Earl Peak loop, North Fork Teanaway, Wenatchee National Forest, Washington, May 10, 2006
Photos from a backcountry skiing loop trip to Navaho Peak and Earl Peak in the east central Washington Cascades, ascending via Stafford Creek and exiting via Bean Creek. Beautiful weather and a good snowpack provided for excellent spring corn snow skiing.
- May 15, 2006: Backcountry ski touring, Miller River, Lake Dorothy to Big Snow Mountain, Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area, Washington, May 3, 2006
Using lightweight telemark ski equipment we skied across Lake Dorothy, up to Gold Lake and then to Big Snow Mountain, in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area of Washington State. The weather, snow, and skiing conditions were perfect and made it possible to do this long ski trip in one day.
- May 8, 2006: Jolly Mountain - Sasse Mountain loop, Salmon la Sac, Washington, April 26, 2006
Photos from a backcountry skiing trip to the Salmon la Sac area of the Cle Elum River valley, in the Cascade Mountains of Washington State. A loop was skied over Jolly Mountain and Sasse Mountain, via Sasse Ridge.
- April 24, 2006: Backcountry skiing, Martin Creek-Kelley Creek to Captain Point, future Wild Sky Wilderness, Washington, April 19, 2006
Photos from a backcountry skiing trip into part of the future Wild Sky Wilderness, starting at Martin Creek, up Kelley Creek, and to the top of Captain Point. Kelley Creek contains beautiful old growth forest, and the 360 degree view from the top of Captain Point was spectacular.
- April 17, 2006: Rampart Ridge skiing: Lake Lillian-Rampart Lakes-Alta Mountain, Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area, Washington, March 29 and April 7, 2006
Murky overcast made for generally poor photography but good skiing on a route up Rocky Run to Lake Lillian, then over a saddle to Rampart Lakes, along a ridge, and up to another saddle near the top of Alta Mountain. Photos from a fogged-out attempt and from a fall hiking trip are included.
- April 10, 2006: Skiing Jim Hill Mountain, Stevens Pass, Washington, March 19, 2006, part 2
Thirty-three photos of telemark skiing and randonee skiing (alpine touring, A.T.) from a backcountry skiing trip to Jim Hill Mountain, in the central Cascade Mountains of Washington State. Cold temperatures, bright March sunshine, and nice powder snow combined for a great day of spectacular skiing in a beautiful location.