- March 27, 2006: Jim Hill Mountain skiing Stevens Pass backcountry, Washington, March 19, 2006, part 1
Thirty photos from a backcountry skiing trip to Jim Hill Mountain via Henry Creek on a bluebird day with classic Stevens smoke powder snow. With the arrival of several more groups of skiers the slopes eventually got pretty tracked out, but everyone found nice lines and had fantastic turns.
- March 13, 2006: Henry M. Jackson Wilderness Area ski touring loop, Stevens Pass, Washington, March 3, 2006
A ski touring trip to the Henry M. Jackson Wilderness Area, in the Washington Cascades north of Stevens Pass. We did a loop through four river valleys, Nason Creek, Martin Creek, Rapid River, and Smith Brook, using waxless skis on this beautiful late winter day and skied through a lot of snowy forest.
- February 20, 2006: Twin Lakes-Silver Peak bowl-Nordic Pass loop, Snoqualmie Pass, Washington, February 15, 2006
Photos from a backcountry skiing trip near Snoqualmie Pass, via Twin Lakes, Windy Pass, Silver Peak bowl, and Nordic Pass. A layer of sparkly, cold, and fast snow provided some great cruising turns and cross-country skiing on this bluebird day.
- January 30, 2006: Old-growth forest ski touring, Nordic Pass, Silver Peak bowl, Snoqualmie Pass, Washington, January 27, 2006
A backcountry ski touring trip to Nordic Pass and Silver Peak bowl, near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington. Our skiing route led through old-growth forest to glades and forest on the northwest arm of Silver Peak.
- January 23, 2006: Backcountry snowboarding, Heather Ridge, Stevens Pass, Washington, January 20, 2006
Twelve backcountry snowboarding photos from a trip to Heather Ridge (Skyline Ridge) near Stevens Pass, Washigton: splitboarding in January powder snow. Lots of new snow and an early start meant that we couldn't access our intended destination, but we found fun and stable snow conditions on Heather Ridge, across Stevens Pass from the ski area.
- December 26, 2005: Silver Creek ski touring, Wenatchee National Forest, Washington, December 19, 2005
An old growth forest ski touring trip to Silver Creek, in the Wenatchee National Forest in Washington's cental Cascade Mountains. A prolonged period of cold weather had preserved most of the two week old powder snow in a good state for traveling on skis.
- November 14, 2005: Muir snowfield snowboarding, Mount Rainier, Washington, October 21, 2005
Photos from a backcountry trip to Camp Muir and the Muir snowfield on the south side of Mt. Rainier. Fall storms had covered summer's dirty hard snow and we found excellent boarding conditions on a warm bluebird day.
- November 7, 2005: Turns all year in review 2005, gallery 5
Year round snowboarding and skiing photos from trips to Mt. Baker, Mt. Rainier, Chinook Pass, Crystal Mountain, Mt. Daniel, and the North Fork Teanaway area.
- October 31, 2005: Mt. Hood backcountry skiing, May 1, 2004 and May 31, 2004
Photos from May backcountry skiing trips to the south side of Mt. Hood, Oregon, including an early May trip to Mt. Hood's summit via the Hogsback and Pearly Gates, and a late May trip to Illumination Saddle.
- October 24, 2005: Skiing Mt. Hood in winter, January and February, 2005
Scenes from winter backcountry skiing trips to the south side of Mt. Hood: skiing in sunshine above the clouds on the Palmer snowfield in January, and skiing in powder snow in an unopened part of Mt. Hood Meadows ski area in February.
- October 17, 2005: Mount Hood fall skiing, Palmer snowfield, September, October, and November, 2004
Photos from backcountry fall skiing trips to the Palmer snowfield, Illumination Rock, and Crater Rock on the south side of Mount Hood. September brought new snow and made for great fall skiing on the Palmer snowfield.
- October 10, 2005: Backcountry skiing, Snow Dome, Mount Hood, Oregon, August 8, 2004
A backcountry skiing trip in August to Snow Dome, on the north side of Mount Hood, featuring a blue bird day and surprisingly good August skiing.
- October 3, 2005: Backcountry skiing, Snow Dome, Mt. Hood, Oregon, July, 2002 and 2004
Photos from July backcountry skiing trips to Snow Dome, on the north side of Mt. Hood between the Coe and Eliot Glaciers. The skiing wasn't ideal, but still good enough for July and extended all the way down to the Timberline trail.
- September 26, 2005: Skiing Snowdome, north side of Mount Hood, Oregon, June 18, 2004
Photos from a backcountry skiing trip in June to Snowdome, on the north side of Mount Hood between the Eliot Glacier and the Coe Glacier, featuring sunshine, blue skies, and great skiing conditons.
- September 19, 2005: Muir minefield, Mt. Rainier National Park, Washington, September 13, 2005
Photos from a backcountry skiing trip to Mt. Rainier National Park for September turns on the Muir snowfield, where late summer storm had coated the Muir snowfield with just enough new snow to make the skiing reasonably fun.
- September 12, 2005: Biffs-All-Year 2005
Photos of biffs, wipeouts, and overall hideously bad skiing and snowboarding.
- September 5, 2005: Turns all year in review 2005, gallery 4
Twelve backcountry skiing and snowboarding photos, one from each month of the year, from ski trips to Mount Baker, Chinoook Pass, Mount Rainier, and the North Fork Teanaway.
- August 29, 2005: Fryingpan Glacier skiing, Mount Rainier National Park, Washington, July 17, 2004
Photos from a July backcountry skiing trip to Summerland, Meany Crest, Fryingpan Glacier, and Whitman Crest, on the northeast side of Mount Rainier National Park.
- August 22, 2005: Summer skiing, Ptarmigan Ridge, Mount Baker backcountry, Washington, August 5, 2005
Photos from a summer skiing trip to the north side of Ptarmigan Ridge, in the Mount Baker backcountry of Washington State. A pleasant hike on a beautiful August day led to short ski runs on surprisingly good snow.
- August 15, 2005: Mount Shuksan, Mount Baker, and mountain goats
Photos from a bluebird day backcountry skiing trip to Ptarmigan Ridge, in the Mount Baker backcountry of Washington State, which featured great views of Mount Shuksan, Mount Baker, and mountain goats.
- August 8, 2005: Part 3 of 3: backcountry skiing, Russell Glacier, Mt. Rainier, Washington, July 12-13, 2005
Continued from the previous two galleries: more Russell Glacier summer corn snow skiing, with photos from our second run and the ski and hike out.
- August 1, 2005: Part 2 of 3: summer skiing, Russell Glacier, Mount Rainier, July 12-13, 2005
Continued from the previous gallery: from our camp at 7000 feet near the base of the Flett Glacier we skied up the Russell Glacier and did two runs on amazing summer corn snow. Photos from our first run are shown in this gallery.
- July 25, 2005: Part 1 of 3: summer skiing, Flett Glacier, Mount Rainier, Washington, July 12-13, 2005
Photos of summer skiing on the Flett Glacier and Russell Glacier on the northwest side of Mount Rainier National Park, Washington. We camped at 7000 feet at the top of the marine layer clouds, and found nice sunset skiing on the Flett Glacier.
- July 18, 2005: Turns-All-June
Previously unpublished photos from backcountry skiing trips throughout the month of June in the Washington Cascades: Mount Rainier, Mount Baker, Mount Adams, Mount Daniel, and the Goat Rocks Wilderness Area.
- July 11, 2005: Scott Paul trail, Squak Glacier skiing, Mount Baker, Washington, June 29, 2005
36 photos from a backcountry skiing trip to the Squak Glacier, on the south side of Mount Baker, Washington, via the Scott Paul trail and Crag View. We were in the fog up to 8000 feet, but then broke out and had great views and skiing conditions.
- July 4, 2005: Ski touring, Ptarmigan Ridge, Coleman Pinnacle, Mount Baker, Washington, June 19, 2005
36 photos from a ski touring trip out Ptarmigan Ridge past Coleman Pinnacle, on the northeast side of Mount Baker. There was still good snow coverage after this poor winter, and lots of good skiing.
- June 27, 2005: Turns all year in review 2005, gallery 3
Twelve previously unpublished photos of backcountry snowboarding and skiing in the Pacific Northwest (Washington and Oregon Cascade Mountains), one from each month of the year, from trips to Mount Baker, Mount Rainier, Chinook Pass, and Mount Daniel.
- June 13, 2005: Flett and Russell Glaciers, Mount Rainier National Park, May 28-30, 2005, days 2+3
Part two of photos from a 3 day backcountry skiing trip to the Flett and Russell Glaciers on the northwest side of Mt. Rainier. The Memorial Day weekend weather held and we found more great skiing before having to hike back to the car through cool marine clouds.
- June 6, 2005: Flett and Russell Glaciers, Mount Rainier National Park, May 28-30, 2005, days 1+2
Photos from the first part of a 3 day backcountry skiing trip to the Russell Glacier and Flett Glacier above Spray Park, on the northwest side of Mount Rainier National Park, Washington. Beautiful weather and even more beautiful snow made for some great skiing.
- May 30, 2005: Turns all year in review 2005, gallery 2
Twelve previously unpublished photos of backcountry skiing in the Washington and Oregon Cascade Mountains, one from each month of the year, from ski trips to Mount Baker, the Teanaway-Cle Elum region, Snoqualmie Pass, Stevens Pass, Mount Rainier, Goat Rocks Wilderness, and Mount Hood.
- May 23, 2005: Splitboarding - snowboarding, Inter Glacier, Mt. Rainier, Washington, May 13, 2005
Photos from a May trip to Glacier Basin and Inter Glacier (Interglacier) on the northeast side of Mount Rainier National Park, Washington. We were mostly successful at hitting the weather window, and found good skiing and snowboarding on Inter Glacier.
- May 16, 2005: Skiing and snowboarding, Muir snowfield, Mount Rainier, Washington, May 6, 2005
Images from a May backcountry trip to the Muir snowfield and Panorama Point on the south side of Mount Rainier. Fogged out of the Nisqually Chutes, we found great turns around Panorama Point - lots of pictures of split boarding, snowboarding, and skiing.
- May 9, 2005: Southwest Chutes backcountry skiing, Mount Adams, Washington, June 20, 2004
Fifteen photos from a June backcountry skiing trip to the south side of Mount Adams, Washington. The ascent route was the standard south climb up Suksdorf Ridge, and the descent featured great skiing in the southwest chutes on soft and creamy snow.
- April 25, 2005: South Sister summit ski, Three Sisters Wilderness, Oregon, June 2002 and June 2004
Photos from two backcountry skiing trips to the summit of South Sister, in the Three Sisters Wilderness Area of Oregon. Both trips were in June, of 2002 and 2004, and featured great weather, corn snow skiing, and views of Middle Sister, North Sister, Broken Top, and Mount Bachelor.
- April 18, 2005: Silver Creek, Wenatchee National Forest, Washington, April 3, 2005
Photos from a backcountry ski touring trip through the snowy forest of Silver Creek, in the Wenatchee National Forest of Washington state.
- April 11, 2005: Turns all year in review 2005, gallery 1
Twelve previously unpublished photos of year-round backcountry skiing in the Washington and Oregon Cascade Mountains, one from each month of the year. Skiing photos from Mount Baker, Mount Daniel, the Teanaway-Cle Elum region, Snoqualmie Pass, Crystal Mountain, Mount Rainier, and Mount Hood.
- April 4, 2005: Camp Muir, Nisqually Chutes, Mount Rainier National Park, Washington, December 18, 2004
Backcountry skiing photos from a December trip from Paradise to Camp Muir, with skiing on the Muir snowfield and the Nisqually Chutes down to the Nisqually Glacier. Blue skies, t-shirt temperatures, beautiful winter lighting, and great corn snow skiing in the Nisqually Chutes.
- March 28, 2005: Grand Park Headwall, Mount Rainier National Park, Washington, March 13, 2005
Ski touring photos from a trip to Grand Park, in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington, using waxless skis. Beautiful weather, fast snow, awesome views of the north side of Mount Rainier, and an epic descent of the Grand Park Headwall.
- March 21, 2005: Van Trump Park, Van Trump Glaciers, The Turtle, Mount Rainier, March 11, 2005
45 photos from a spring backcountry skiing trip on the south side of Mount Rainier. Starting at 3600 feet in snow-free forest, we hiked past Comet Falls and then skinned up Van Trump Park, Van Trump Glaciers, and onto the Turtle to around 10,200 feet. Breakable crust on the Turtle turned into generally nice spring skiing on the Van Trump Glaciers; lots of photos of telemark skiing and randonee skiing (alpine touring).
- March 7, 2005: Kids cross country skiing snow camping: Mazama Ridge, Mt. Rainier, February 25-27, 2005
Photos from a three day February backcountry skiing trip to Mazama Ridge, near Paradise in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington. Sunny days and cold, clear nights combined to make for very enjoyable kids cross country skiing and snow camping.
- February 21, 2005: Skiing in Patagonia, Argentina: Los Glaciares National Park, Oct-Nov, 2004, part 2
More photos from a backcountry ski touring trip to Los Glaciares National Park, in the region of Patagonia, Argentina. Part 2 of 2, days 9-11: great weather, awesome views of the Fitzroy (Fitz Roy) range including Cerro Torre, and a summit ski on Gorra Blanca (2907m).
- February 14, 2005: Skiing in Patagonia, Argentina: Los Glaciares National Park, Oct-Nov, 2004, part 1
Maps and photos from a backcountry skiing trip to Los Glaciares National Park, in the Patagonia region of Argentina. Part 1 of 2, days 1-8: the approach hike and ski led along Rio Electrico and under Fitzroy, then up through Paso Marconi to Refugio Garcia-Soto.
- February 7, 2005: Muir snowfield, Paradise Glacier, Mount Rainier, Washington, February 2, 2005
Low snow coverage everywhere but plenty for skiing. A variety of not-so-great snow conditions gave way to nice spring skiing below 7500 feet, and the best turns were just a few minutes from the parking lot.
- January 24, 2005: Waptus River, Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Washington, January 14, 2005
Photos from a January backcountry cross-country skiing trip along the Waptus River trail near Salmon la Sac, in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness of the Wenatchee National Forest, Washington.
- January 17, 2005: Silver Basin, Crystal Lakes, Crystal Mountain, Washington, January 9, 2005
24 photos from a skiing trip to the Crystal Mountain, Washington backcountry in January. Reasonable snow pack, cold powder snow, great skiing, and even some sunshine and blue skies.
- January 10, 2005: Backcountry skiing and snowboarding, March and April, 2004; Wheeler Hut, Rogers Pass and Bow Hut, Wapta Icefields, British Columbia, Canada
24 photos from backcountry snowboarding and skiing trips in British Columbia, Canada. Wheeler Hut and Bow Hut were the base for skiing and snowboarding at Rogers Pass and the Wapta Icefields, including Youngs Peak, the Seven Steps of Paradise, Little Sifton, Dome Glacier, Mount Gordon, Mount Olive, Mount Rhonda.
- December 13, 2004: Turns all year in review 2004, gallery 4
A gallery containing one new backcountry skiing photo from each month of the year, from Washington backcountry destinations such as Mount Rainier National Park, Mount Adams, Mount Baker, Stevens Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, and the North Fork Teanaway (Wenatchee Range).
- November 29, 2004: Naches Peak, Chinook Pass, Washington, November 21, 2004
Eighteen photos from a November backcountry skiing trip to Naches Peak, near Chinook Pass, Washington. Low snow cover and rocks made the skiing tricky, and turned the day into a ski touring trip around Naches Peak
- November 8, 2004: Mt. Hood Meadows Halloween Bowls, Mt. Hood, Oregon, October 31, 2004
Randonee skiing, telemark skiing, and snowboarding photos from an Oregon backcountry skiing and snowboarding trip to the bowls in the closed Mt. Hood Meadows ski area. Lots of powder snow treats and a few tricks for this Halloween skiing trip.
- November 1, 2004: Grand Park, Mt. Rainier National Park, Washington, October 24, 2004
Photos from an October backcountry skiing trip to Grand Park, on the north side of Mt. Rainier. The shallow but perfect, 4-inch deep, snow pack provided for great cross-country skiing and turns on a beautiful day.