- October 11, 2004: Jumps and Turns on the Muir Snowfield, September 25, 2004
Eight year old Katie hiked up to Camp Muir with her family and then skied down, enjoying some of the finest September skiing we've had in years. Five days earlier Katie and her family had done this same trip, but in a whiteout. Here is Katie's skiing trip report.
- October 4, 2004: Muir Snowfield, Mt. Rainier, September 24, 2004
Photos from a fall backcountry skiing trip to the Muir snowfield and Camp Muir, on the south side of Mt. Rainier. September storms had deposited a covering of new snow and the corn snow skiing was excellent on this bluebird day.
- September 27, 2004: Turns all year in review 2004, gallery 3
Previously unpublished year-round backcountry skiing action photos from Washington backcountry skiing locations like Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, Snoqualmie Pass, Stevens Pass, and the North Fork Teanaway River. One photo from each month of the year.
- September 20, 2004: Wallpapers-All-Year
1024 x 768 pixel computer wallpaper photos, one from each month of the year, from backcountry skiing trips in the Washington Cascades.
- September 13, 2004: Muir Snowfield, Mt. Rainier, Washington, September 6, 2004
Enough new snow had fallen on the Muir snowfield above Moon Rocks that we enjoyed perfect September corn snow skiing conditions, and a ski run of 2500 vertical feet.
- September 6, 2004: Biffs-All-Year 2004: previously unpublished photos of hideously bad skiing
Twelve photos of skiing wipeouts, faceplants, and biffs from backcountry skiing trips in the Cascade Mountains of Washington State.
- August 30, 2004: White River old-growth forest, Washington, May 30, 2004
Fifteen old-growth forest photos from the White River in Washington, near The Dalles campground and the Skookum Flats mountain biking trail.
- August 23, 2004: Paradise Glacier, Mt. Rainier, Washington, August 8, 2004
30 photos of August turns from a backcountry skiing trip to the Paradise Glacier - Cowlitz Glacier area on the south side of Mt. Rainier.
- August 16, 2004: Turns all year in review 2004, gallery 2
Previously unpublished year-round skiing action photos from Pacific Northwest backcountry skiing locations like Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, Mt. Hood, Snoqualmie Pass, and Stevens Pass. One photo from each month of the year.
- August 9, 2004: Pinnacle Glacier Slush Cup, Mt. Rainier, August 1, 2004
Twenty backcountry skiers and boarders competed for the 2nd Annual Pinnacle Glacier Slush Cup grand prize: a kiss from the MadDog. Various styles were employed by the contestants, including the telemark power plunge, the randonee skim, the wakeboard, and the crowd-pleasing Nestea Plunge.
- August 2, 2004: Kids summer skiing, Paradise, Mt. Rainier, Washington, July 22, 2004
Photos of children skiing from a July backcountry skiing trip to the lower Paradise Glacier area, on the south side of Mt. Rainier National Park, Washington.
- July 26, 2004: Flett and Russell Glaciers, Mt. Rainier, Washington, July 14-15, 2004
24 photos from an overnight backcountry skiing trip to the northwest side of Mt. Rainier, with skiing on the Russell Glacier and Flett Glacier.
- July 19, 2004: Russell Glacier, Mt. Rainier, Washington, July 9, 2004
Photos from a summer backcountry skiing trip to the Russell Glacier on Mt. Rainier, using lightweight telemark boots, skis, and ski gear.
- July 12, 2004: Mt. Baker summit via Easton Glacier, Washington, June 30, 2004
33 backcountry skiing photos from a day trip from Schrieber's Meadow to the summit of Mt. Baker, via the Railroad Grade trail, Easton Glacier, summit crater, and Roman Wall.
- July 5, 2004: Dege Peak, Sourdough Chutes, Sunrise, Mt. Rainier, Washington, June 25, 2004
Thirty Mt. Rainier skiing photos from a backcountry trip to Dege Peak and the Sourdough Chutes, near Sunrise on the northeast side of Mt. Rainier.
- June 28, 2004: Mt. Daniel, Cle Elum River, Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area, Washington, June 16, 2004
24 backcountry skiing photos are from a June trip to the east peak of Mt. Daniel, via the Cle Elum River, Cathedral Rock, and Peggy's Pond. The weather was perfect, the coverage was good, and all but the highest snow made for good skiing
- June 21, 2004: Sunrise to 3rd Burroughs Mountain, Mt. Rainier, Washington, June 4, 2004
30 photos from a backcountry ski touring trip to Sunrise and Burroughs Mountain, on the northeast side of Mt. Rainier in the Washington Cascades Mountains. The trip included great weather and snow conditions, and a steep run down the north side of 2nd Burroughs Mountain to Berkeley Park.
- June 14, 2004: Grand Park, Mt. Rainier, Washington, May 29, 2004
Photos from a backcountry skiing trip to Grand Park, on the north side of Mt. Rainier National Park. A new layer of late May snow revealed fresh bear tracks, as well as those of elk and big cats.
- June 7, 2004: Glacier Basin, Inter Glacier toe, Mt. Rainier, Washington, May 28, 2004
A backcountry skiing trip to Glacier Basin and the toe of Inter Glacier (Interglacier), out of the White River valley on the northeast side of Mt. Rainier. Cool and stormy late May weather had deposited up to 8 inches of new snow, and we had good skiing runs in the not quite powder snow.
- May 31, 2004: Turns all year in review 2004, gallery 1
Previously unpublished fall skiing, winter skiing, spring skiing, and summer skiing action photos from Pacific Northwest backcountry skiing locations like Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, Mt. Adams, Chinook Pass, Stevens Pass, and the North Fork Teanaway. One photo from each month of the year.
- May 24, 2004: Hawkins Mountain, Cle Elum River, Wentachee N.F., Washington, May 14, 2004
Photos from a spring backcountry skiing trip on fantastic corn snow to Hawkins Mountain, situated between the Cle Elum River and Teanaway River in the central Washington Cascade Mountains.
- May 17, 2004: Grand Park to Mt. Fremont via Berkeley Park, Mt. Rainier, May 12, 2004
A backcountry ski touring trip to Grand Park and Mt. Fremeont, via Lodi Creek and Berkeley Park on the north side of Mt. Rainier National Park. The clouds parted in the afternoon and Mt. Rainier emerged in all of its glory.
- May 10, 2004: Mowich Lake, Spray Park, Flett Glacier, Mt. Rainier, April 30, 2004
Our ski touring route led us past Mowich Lake, over Knapsack Pass and Mt. Pleasant, across Spray Park, and up the Flett Glacier to the base of Observation Rock. The snow was mostly firm and fast on this sunny day, and good turns were found descending the Flett Glacier back to Spray Park.
- May 3, 2004: Earl Peak, North Fork Teanaway, Washington, April 25, 2004
Backcountry skiing photos from a sunny spring corn snow skiing trip to Bean Creek basin and Earl Peak, in the North Fork Teanaway drainage in the eastern Washington Cascades.
- April 26, 2004: Snoqualmie Pass backcountry skiing, Washington, April 16, 2004
Fifteen spring backcountry skiing photos from a trip to the Snoqualmie Pass area of the central Washington Cascade Mountains.
- April 19, 2004: Navaho Peak, North Fork Teanaway, eastern Washington Cascades, April 9, 2004
Backcountry skiing photos from an April trip to Navaho Peak, in the North Fork Teanaway River drainage of the Wenatchee National Forest of Washington. A consolidated snowpack and a clear, cold night followed by this cool sunny day produced almost perfect corn skiing conditions in glades and on The Blaze on the south side of Navaho Peak.
- April 12, 2004: Kids Backcountry Skiing, Nason Creek, Washington, April 3-5, 2004
Kids backcountry skiing photos from a two night April backcountry skiing trip to upper Nason Creek and Lake Valhalla, near Stevens Pass, Washington
- April 5, 2004: Nason Creek, Stevens Pass, Cascade Crest, Washington, March 26, 2004
Photos from a backcountry skiing trip to upper Nason Creek and the Cascade Crest near Stevens Pass, Washington. The new late March snow made for some enjoyable backcountry skiing on runs from the Cascade Crest down through the old-growth forest.
- March 29, 2004: Polallie Ridge, Salmon la Sac, Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Washington, March 21, 2004
Fifteen backcountry skiing photos from a trip along Polallie Ridge, in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area near Salmon la Sac, Washington
- March 22, 2004: Upper Nason Creek, Lake Valhalla, Stevens Pass, Washington, March 17, 2004
Photos from a backcountry skiing trip to Lake Valhalla via Upper Nason Creek, near Stevens Pass, Washington
- March 15, 2004: Silver Creek, Wenatchee National Forest, Washington, March 10, 2004
The previous weekend's reports of snow whoomphing and slab avalanches led us to do this long forest tour with minimal avalanche exposure. On slopes at the end of the valley, we abandoned our quest for a few turns when we experienced whoomphing of the snow under our skis.
- March 8, 2004: Twin-Stonesthrow-Margaret Lakes loop, Snoqualmie Pass, February 27, 2004
A backcountry skiing trip to the Twin Lakes - Stonesthrow Lake - Margaret Lake area at the southern edge of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area in the central Washington Cascade Mountains.
- March 1, 2004: Lake Valhalla, Stevens Pass backcountry, Washington, February 20, 2004
A backcountry skiing trip to Lake Valhalla, in the Stevens Pass backcountry of Washington. 18 sunny February photos of cross-country skiing and telemark skiing, and of Lake Valhalla and nearby Lichtenberg Mountain.
- February 23, 2004: Secret stash #734249, Mt. Baker backcountry, Washington, February 8, 2004
18 photos from a backcountry skiing trip to secret stash #734249 in the Mt. Baker backcountry. Includes photos of powder snowboarding and telemark, free-heel, and randonee skiing.
- February 16, 2004: Silver Peak via Twin Lakes, Snoqualmie Pass, Washington, February 12, 2004
Photos from a winter backcountry skiing trip to Silver Peak via its south ridge and Twin Lakes, near Snoqualmie Pass in the Washington Cascades.
- February 9, 2004: Flashback: summer skiing, Paradise Glacier, Mt. Rainier, Washington, July 20, 2003
New photos from a summer backcountry skiing trip to the Paradise Glacier on Mt. Rainier, featuring sunshine, warm weather, backcountry skiing in shorts, and an apr¸s ski parking lot BBQ feast.
- February 2, 2004: Arrowhead Mountain, Stevens Pass backcountry, Washington, January 25, 2004
Backcountry skiing photos from a January trip to Arrowhead Mountain, in the Stevens Pass backcountry of the central Washington Cascades. Good powder was found overlying a stabilizing crust.
- January 26, 2004: Grizzly Shoulder, Young's Peak, Rogers Pass, British Columbia, Feb. & Dec., 2003
Photos from backcountry skiing trips to Wheeler Hut in the Rogers Pass area of British Columbia in February and December of 2003. February brought lots of new powder snow and skiing on Grizzly Shoulder, while blue December skies allowed for access to the high skiing terrain around the Illecillewaet Glacier and Young's Peak.
- January 19, 2004: Urban Backcountry Skiing, NE 90s Couloirs, Seattle, January 6, 2004
Photos from an urban backcountry skiing trip to the NE 90s Couloirs, located in the picturesque Maple Leaf Range of Northeast Seattle, Washington. At just an hour's drive from the burgeoning Snoqualmie Pass area, these four couloirs are readily accessible, but never have the coverage to all be skied on the same day. This day, however, was to be different...
- January 12, 2004: Snoqualmie Pass backcountry powder skiing, January 4, 2004
Photos from a backcountry powder skiing trip to the Snoqualmie Pass area of Washington. Very cold temperatures and lots of new snow provided excellent backcountry powder skiing in glades and trees.
- January 5, 2004: Nordic Pass, Silver Peak bowl, Snoqualmie Pass, December 28, 2003
Photos from a December backcountry skiing trip to the Nordic Pass and Silver Peak bowl areas near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington, showing scenes of sunlit mountains and ski tracks in the snowy forest.
- December 29, 2003: Kachess Ridge via Silver Creek, Wenatchee N.F., Washington, December 19, 2003
Photos from a backcountry skiing trip to Kachess Ridge via Silver Creek, in the Wenatchee National Forest of Washington: difficult backcountry skiing conditions but a nice ridge with extensive views.
- December 22, 2003: Nordic Pass old-growth, Snoqualmie Pass, December 12, 2003
Nine photos from a Snoqualmie Pass backcountry skiing trip on skinny skis in old-growth forest powder snow.
- December 15, 2003: Turns all year in review 2003, gallery 4
Year-round backcountry skiing: ski streak photos from throughout the year, one photo from each month.
- December 8, 2003: Paradise, Mt. Rainier, Washington, November 30, 2003
A sunny day and wind-sheltered south slope allowed the rain crust to thaw just right to produce perfect corn snow skiing conditions.
- December 1, 2003: Paradise, Mt. Rainier, Washington, November 23, 2003
Photos from a backcountry powder snow trip to the Paradise area of Mt. Rainier. Plenty of new powder made for great skiing and photos of snowboarding (split board) and randonee skiing (AT).
- November 24, 2003: Mazama Ridge, Mt. Rainier, Washington, November 16, 2003
A backcountry trip to Mt. Rainier's Mazama Ridge. Near blizzard conditions didn't stop the large group from enjoying great November skiing conditions. Includes photos of snowboarding, randonee skiing, and telemark skiing.
- November 3, 2003: New panorama: Mt. Rainier from the northwest, with Russell Glacier turns
A new addition to the collection of 12 Mt. Rainier panoramas, from a July backcountry skiing trip to the Russell Glacier on the northwest side of Mt. Rainier.
- October 27, 2003: Panorama Point, Mt. Rainier, Washington, October 19, 2003
A thin but good quality cover of new snow provided for reasonable backcountry skiing around Panorama Point, and October was in the bag.
- October 20, 2003: Washington Cascades mountains wallpapers
Four wallpaper photos from the Boulder River and Alpine Lakes Wilderness Areas in the Washington Cascades, showing Three Fingers, Mt. Daniel, Lemah Mountain, and Summit Chief Mountain.
- October 13, 2003: Turns all year in review 2003, gallery 3
Photos from year round backcountry skiing trips in the Washington Cascade Mountains, one photo from each month of the year.